Thursday, May 19, 2011

Deschutes Brewing Co. -- Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale


Deschutes Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale is brewed with seven malt varieties and has a citrusy hop bite.

Review:
This copper colored ale pours perfectly clear and carries a light, very white, head. The aroma is very complex with both citrus and grass notes mixing with a malty Munich malt nose. The mouthfeel is more reminiscent of IPA's than a pale ale. Nice flavors including honey and roasted malts are mixed in, and the roast character is more dominant that I would have expected from the color. The hops are quite bracing.

(Side Note: Red Chair NWPA is named after the oldest operating lift at Mt. Bachelor.. in Central Oregon.)

Overall:
I didn't assume that I would like this beer. I guess the name Northwest Pale Ale made it sound like it was going to be a Widmer beer or something of that caliber. Instead I found a beer that I thoroughly enjoyed. I wish I had a case of this to drink!

Grade: A
Barrel Man Says,
"I wish I had a barrel
of this beer!"

(Bottle Purchased at Liquor Collection)

No comments:

Post a Comment