Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mad River Brewing Co. -- Jamaica Brand Sunset IPA



Mad River Brewing Co.'s Jamaica Brand Sunset IPA is, "a rich light copper India Pale Ale that features the finest spicy floral dry hopped character with a clean crisp finish."
 7.0% ABV

Review:
Sometimes a label can keep me from purchasing beers that I would otherwise probably try. This label is one example. I finally did pull the trigger and this is what I found:
This ale pours a light copper/orange color and is quite clear. The head is light and fleeting, while the carbonation level is similar to soda. The aroma is a mixture of hoppy citrus and lightly kilned malts. The body is light and the flavor is slightly sweet with notes of orange. Finally, Sunset IPA finishes peppery, citrusy, and dry.
(Side Note: Because this ale has hop bitterness and aroma, but not much hop flavor, I believe that the hop additions were focused in the beginning of the boil and the dry hopping--and probably included Amarillo hops.)

Overall Impression
I'm glad that I got over my hangup about the label on this beer. I found it to be very drinkable, but still quite flavorful. Where other IPAs on the market may seem too thick and heavy for a hot day in Hawai'i, this beer, with its light body and crisp finish will be one that I reach for when I need refreshment.

Grade: A
Barrel Man Says,
"Unlike any other IPA."
(bottle purchased at Liquor Collection)

No comments:

Post a Comment